Snowmobile Insurance 101
It’s December! For many of you, it’s the time of year when you look forward to getting back out on your snowmobile. This winter, the weather forecast is calling for lots of snow, so there should be plenty of opportunity for fun and adventure. The only question is, “Have you got snowmobile insurance coverage?”
Although snowmobiles are only ridden for about four months of the year, you shouldn’t forget to make sure that you have proper insurance coverage.
Here are some important things to know about snowmobile insurance.
Types of Snowmobile Insurance
There are many types of insurance coverages for snowmobiles including:
- Property Damage (Direct Compensation)
- Bodily Injury
- Third Party Liability
- Statutory Accident Benefits
- All Perils
- And More…
Much like a car, snowmobile coverage will protect you in the event of an accident. If you are intending to drive your snowmobile off your property, then insurance is required by law in the province of Ontario.
There are many factors that go into deciding which type of coverage is best for your specific situation. The team at The Ostic Group will review your specific needs and requirements in order to determine the best options, and eligible discounts, for you.
Am I eligible for snowmobile insurance?
We often get questions from our customers about whether or not they are eligible for snowmobile insurance. Here are a few things to know about The Ostic Group’s snowmobile insurance:
- The operator of a snow vehicle must have passed a driver’s license examination or completed a snow vehicle safety course accredited by the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (or the equivalent).
- Coverage is provided for 2 stroke engines 201cc to 801cc.
- Coverage is provided for 4 stroke engines up to 1201cc.
TIP: It is always advisable to bundle your insurance products with one insurance provider in order to receive the best rates.
Depending on your situation, you may be eligible for the following discounts:
What is the cost of snowmobile insurance?
There are many factors that go into determining the cost of your snowmobile insurance coverage. Considerations include:
- Your age
- Your driving record
- How often you intend to drive the snowmobile
- Your driver training
- Where you live
- The type of snowmobile you will be driving
If you already have automobile coverage with The Ostic Group, adding this additional coverage is simple and fast. We will be able to review your information quickly and ensure that you getting the best insurance coverage, so you can get back out on your sled.
Should I review my snowmobile insurance coverage?
The short answer is, yes. We always recommend that our customers review their insurance coverage every year for the following reasons:
1. Some people only insure their vehicles on a yearly basis.
- You want to ensure that you are covered for the current season and that your insurance hasn’t expired.
2. You will want to be sure that your coverage reflects your current situation.
- If your address has changed, or you’re now riding a different snowmobile, you’ll need to update your information to ensure that you are properly covered.
3. If your plans for driving your snowmobile are different than in the past.
- If you plan on doing more driving, or driving out of province, you will want to ensure that your coverage is extended to include these plans.
There are many considerations when it comes to snowmobile insurance. Contact The Ostic Group to review your unique situation with one of our insurance experts today.